About me, Stephanie…
- I never turn down a glass of sparkling rose.
- I swoon over a spicy, peppery red.
- I won’t adulterate my chocolate brownies, cookies, cakes etc…with nuts (or fruit, or raspberry filling).
- The spicier the food the better (a product of growing up in Singapore, Thailand and Korea).
- I’ll go out of my way for my morning latte.
And, I gain a sense of place by taste. And walking. A lot of walking. But invariably, wherever I go, my first question is “but where are we going to eat?” It’s not that I’m hungry all the time, but I get to know a city or neighborhood by focusing on the food. Bistros, cafes, and coffee shops are my museums, art gallerys, and monuments. If I went anywhere near Recco, Italy, without seeking out their paper thin and cheesy focaccia or made it to Hilton Head Island during oyster season and didn’t run down to the Bluffton Oyster Company for a ½ bushel, I would be missing out on the essence of that place, the best it has to offer. I wanted to write this blog to share the treasures and tastes I’ve found in food and drink from my home in the DC metro and beyond.